Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Okay.

After discussion with Rees, I have decided to modify my thesis once again.
Although I am still fond of the subject matter of differing visions of the future throughout the 20th century, my idea was about as conceptually unwieldy as my MIDI surveillance was financially cumbersome.

However, I do plan to incorporate the single idea that has been consistent throughout my revisions: The programmatic conversion of one form of nonmusical information into another form of audial information.
In this case, the thesis focus is almost solely on this idea. I plan on writing a program that will analyze the subject matter of up to 5 documents and convert them into MIDI information that will be sent to an analogue synthesizer to be played while an oscilloscope displays the resultant waveforms and frequencies. Like my previous efforts, this will be a projection installation piece.

I have a possible conceptual framework for the whole thing, but I'm not sure if I should use it or not.

Through the use of scientific theses processed through the analog synthesizer(one of the basic tools of the sort of popular scientific aesthetic that we experience every day) I would like to make a statement regarding the popular aesthetic trappings of science and how they, in their generalities and archetypes basically further mystify the profession to the general public. Is it designed to increase the importance of science? Is it actually helping or harming the profession?

Before elaborating any further, I am planning on presenting these ideas to the class today--a conceptual user testing session, if you will--so I can try to actually start something without having to make two weeks of progress and then having to revise my concept all over again.

No comments: